Pages

Interactive Route Map

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Adaptation.

As opposed to doing a write up of the past few days I'm just going to post some simple observations/ thought I've had in the past few days in New Mexico.

Thu Nov 24, 2011. Crossed into NM! Met by strong winds not in my favor. Slept near a ghost town on abandoned cattle grazing grounds. Eerie feel to the whole place, weird sounds at night.

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:39 AM- Awoken by 50 mph wind gusts. Tent survived. 5500' lower 30's.

9:30 AM- On the road, averaging 5 mph. Very strong head/ side wind. 40°

11:30 AM- Wind ended in an instant. Cruising at 15-20 mph. Minimal climbing. 6500' 52°

1:20 PM- Calm; tail wind. Passing a dormant but not yet extinct volcano. Some clouds ahead.

1:29 PM- Hail is falling, 1/8th inch diameter max. Winds at 40mph+. Temperature dropped. Found shelter just in time in an abandoned building. 7000' 38°

1:58 PM- Hail ended, freezing rain started.

2:43 PM- In a gift shop writing out postcards. Cold.

3:12- Western skies look clear. Decided to move on. Wet roads on highway translate to wet shoes. 35°

4:28- Fencing everywhere, can't find a camp spot. Cold. Frostbite risk if I don't warm up/ dry out soon. 6500' 32°

5:42 PM - Freezing. At a cattle farm. Owners said I could camp by the main road, people complained & I ended up by the slaughter house. Shit. 30°

5:57 PM- eating a pb&j sandwich. Can't think straight. Calm outside, 28°

6:54 PM- Can't fall asleep. Frustrated & angry at myself that I'm riding through such beautiful country yet can't find spots to camp at. How could someone just fence these mountains off? It doesn't make sense.


Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:54 AM- Snow coating on the ground. Incredibly strong winds, tent stakes became undone and I am literally being moved by the wind. For the first time ever, I am scared for my life.

4:32 AM- Woke up to a ton of snow inside my tent. The shit hit the fan fast. Got inside one of the barns, complete blizzard conditions outside. Dragged my tent through a foot of snow in some spots.

5:01 AM- Got everything mostly dry. Hope they don't kick me out of here. Not sure what I'll do tomorrow. NOAA weather is stating "clear, lows in the 20's, heavy wind" for the Raton area, which I am about 10 miles & 500' ele. higher from. This tells you (and myself) how sporadic & uncertain the weather can be out here.

6:53 AM- Hit my head on the low farm door trying to go outside to take care of business. Headlamp took the hit & cracked.

7:12 AM- Farm foreman was glad to find me inside as opposed to frozen to death outside. Skies have cleared, some snow on the ground. Calisthenics routine of 50 sit ups & pushups to warm up before getting out of my sleeping bag.

9:14 AM- On the road, 21°, wind chill of 8°. Wearing 4 layers, 2 pairs of gloves, socks & hats.

10:35 AM- Made it to Raton, NM. 7000' up, warming up.

11:20 AM- On my way to Cimarron Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment